71% of Newly Qualified Accountants Will Go Where the Work Is
With 57% Willing to Emigrate
View the survey results on our video here:
More than half of recently Qualified Accountants are willing to emigrate to secure their first job. Overwhelmingly, the chance to gain good experience with a reputable brand is the biggest incentive to joining a company with 84% of respondents choosing this ahead of additional annual leave, receiving a bonus or getting a free laptop or tablet device.
The results of the survey undertaken by BDO Recruitment uncover just how far newly Qualified Accountants will go to get industry experience and it seems, that includes, going half way across the world.
Chloe Liddy-Judge, Recruitment Consultant with BDO says, “The survey results are quite clear. Qualified Accountants are hungry to work and will follow the path that leads them to their next job. Unfortunately that also includes emigration.
“However a really positive finding and perhaps a sign of the calibre of newly Qualified Accountants in Ireland today is that almost one third are willing to work on a 12-month contractual basis and would sacrifice bonus and other perks to get the right start in their career. Meanwhile almost one quarter (23%) of respondents said they would be willing to work on contract for over 24 months to gain relevant industry experience.”
146 recently Qualified Accountants were surveyed as part of this research and they answered a number of questions relating to pay expectations, reasons for choosing a company to work with and even their medium-term travel plans.
Meanwhile, 16% of respondents said they wanted to remain in practice with 41% wanting to move to industry and 43% still yet undecided.
Maurice Carr, Partner with BDO Limerick says, “There is a feeling among recently Qualified Accountants that they will have to emigrate to secure industry experience. Our own experience at BDO Limerick is that Ireland is still delivering highly qualified, business ready Accountants with a real vigour and interest to succeed. They view their career as a long-term goal and so are willing to gain experience in the right industry early on.
“BDO Limerick recruits many Qualified Accountants on an annual basis and our experience has been extremely positive. We hope the findings of this survey alert Practice and Industry to the talent out there and consider recruiting them before they leave Ireland.”
The main findings are as follows:
- Most respondents prefer to move into industry (41%) or are still undecided what route to take (43%).
- 16% of respondents want to stay in practice.
- The majority of respondents’ salary expectations ranged from €35,000 to €45,000.
- Overwhelmingly, the chance to gain good experience with a reputable brand is the biggest incentive to joining a company/practice with 84% of respondents choosing this ahead of additional annual leave, signing on bonus or getting a personal laptop or tablet device.
- Job Boards (46%) and Recruitment Agencies (30%) are the two most effective mediums used by recently Qualified Accountants to find suitable roles.
- 71% of people are willing to relocate either nationally (14%) or internationally (57%) for the right role.
- 31.5% of respondents would be willing to work up to 12 months on contract with 23% willing to work 24 months plus on contract.
You can download the full survey here. 2013 Recently Qualified Accountant Survey
We have also created the infographic below depicting the main survey results.